The HOPE Recovered Library for children is a program to assist primary school children with reading with a focus on English. The registration process of each child involves an assessment to determine the reading level of the child. There are three levels: foundation, practice and reader.
- Children in the foundation level will get training sessions at the library 2 or 3 times a week for 30 minutes. They will get help hearing, identifying and using different sounds that distinguishes one word from another in the English language. In these training sessions HOPE Recovered makes use of the Holiday Reading Club material.
- Children in the practice level will get practice sessions at the library once or twice a week for 30 minutes to practice reading with a teacher.
- Children in the reader level will only come to the library to return a book and select a new one to take home.
This program requires parental involvement and assistance. According to the level of the child, the parents are asked to read the book together with their child and ask questions about the story.
- Each child must be registered before he/she can participate in the HOPE Recovered Library program. For the registration, a duly filled Registration and Indemnity Form needs to be filled in. Then each child will be assessed in order to determine the child’s level. According to the level, the child will be assigned to training or practice sessions.
- Only one book may be borrowed at a time.
- In order to get a new book, the previous one has to be returned.
- If a book is lost or broken, a fee of R50 will apply. In this case a new book may only be borrowed when the fee is paid in full.
- A book may be borrowed for one week. Please make sure the child returns the books in time.
- Take note: HOPE Recovered, its staff and volunteers are not liable for the wellbeing of the child to or from the library.
The Library for children is open during the following times:
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 14:30 – 17:00
The HOPE Recovered Library is located at MLC (My Lord Conquers) church in Lethabong, Pretoria, South Africa.
How you can make a difference at the Library for children
HOPE Recovered is currently looking for the following items for this program:
- books for teenagers
- children’s books
- self adhesive book covers
The Library for children – your volunteer opportunity
Contact us if you have a heart for children and want to make a difference in their lives.